Thursday, July 21, 2011

May You Never - John Martyn

Every once in awhile, the creative temperament skews nearer to fragile genius than it does to inspired, practical innovator. We have times of discouragement. We doubt the value of our work. We may be misunderstood. We experience setbacks due to circumstances beyond our control. 
One of my favorite musicians is John Martyn.  Eric Clapton once said (John is) "so far ahead of everything, it's almost inconceivable." In this video he is, to me, achieving musical perfection. I love his joyful, "Take it to church!" a generous gesture to his band mates that he wants them to shine and play on. Notice the way Kathy Mattea looks at John during the song - eyes shining with admiration and love. At the very end, her incredulity at what they just experienced is so joyful. I hope John noticed. I hope he knew how incredible everyone thought he was before he died.

I hope you know how incredible YOU are. While you are doing what you were put on this earth to do, I can guarantee you that some one is being encouraged and amazed by you, their eyes shining with admiration and love. That's just how it is when we live authentically and generously.


No comments:

Post a Comment